Eagle Takeout

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Eagle Takeout

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:00 pm

We’ve been working on the predator attacks on pups in Slough Creek, focusing on each predator’s behaviors and how the player can thwart those attacks. One of those predators is the golden eagle, who swoops down out of the blue to grab a pup and carry it off. Tommi, our lead developer and systems designer, spent some time prototyping how exactly this should work. Because the eagle is often high above the ground, it’s difficult to follow the bird with the normal camera view. It’s much easier in Headcam mode (T key), but still somewhat tricky until he changed the A/D and Left/Right arrow keys to move the camera sideways instead of turning. That turning action was a carryover from the old version of WolfQuest and didn’t match the new third-person controls anyways, so we are now switching to this sideways, or strafe, motion — it’s more standard for FPS controls and makes it much easier to track the eagle as it circles and swoops. See how it works in this week’s devblog video!

Learn more about eagles in WolfQuest in the Wolfopedia!
We have released the first episode of WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition (Amethyst Mountain) for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. While in Early Access, we are updating the game frequently with more features, multiplayer, and ultimately the Slough Creek episode with pups. The mobile version will come after the game is completed on PC/Mac platforms. We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall (DLC).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Eagle Takeout

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:26 pm

The map looks beautiful. I always like looking at the dens :D I wonder how to fend off stranger wolves if 3 of them happen to come to the den :?

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:35 pm

Maybe crows or ravens could start yelling if there`s an eagle around? I think crows chase hawks sometimes. The player might not understand the warnings, though, and would maybe pass it off as ambient sounds.

Also the eagle screeching might get the player to notice there`s an eagle, but newer players might not realize the eagle`s after their pups and I`m also not sure if eagles actually do that when attacking.

Furthermore, players might not know to switch to headcam mode so maybe they could be told about it in the 'an eagle is after your pups' popup?

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:05 pm

Wow! Dave! The new pup-raising dynamics are great!!
I also thought it was funny how you couldn't save Jimmy and Jainy, although the deaths themselves were sad :c

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:38 am

It's amazing how Slough Creek is evolving! I hope my puppies live longer than Jimmy and Jainy... :(
Last edited by BlackMetal on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:26 am

Lesson learned from this video: Never trust Dave to look after your pups.
(Though we probably already knew this from when he tried crossing the river in the real Slough Creek.)

All jokes aside, Slough Creek is looking amazing! I really like how the system is coming along so far. The only problem is, those pups are almost too adorable! I have a feeling I will be doing all I can to keep them safe. This does make me wonder though, will our mates sometimes assist in chasing off eagles?

TimberWolf0450
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by TimberWolf0450 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:21 pm

That looks amazing! I can't believe how realistic the game is. It will add more of a challenge to the game, which is a good thing!