Creeking Along

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Creeking Along

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Slough Creek may get all the attention, but it depends on many smaller tributary creeks to put it on the map. Today’s devblog looks at the process of creating one of these: an unnamed creek that feeds into McBride Lake above First Meadow. I start with satellite data, attempting to create the most accurate terrain we can creating the creeks as we see them winding along. Sometimes we guess, based on the greater density of vegetation that grows in wetter areas.

Then I switch to a tool called River Auto Material (R.A.M.) that analyzes the terrain topography and plots a downhill course, ensuring that= water isn’t running uphill (because that would be weird). R.A.M can then carve out the creek bed and add pebble textures. Finally, I set up a layer to place vegetation and rocks along the creek. And voilà, we have another wandering water source for you to discover in the game.

Update on last week’s devblog: Thank you to everyone who suggested names for Lost River’s wolf packs. Here are the winners:

Eclipse Pack
Desolation Pack
Renegade Pack
Requiem Pack
Stormcloud Pack
Ghost Pack
Windstorm Pack
Calamity Pack
Tumbleweed Pack
Shadow Pack

Look for the new Lost River wolf pack names in the newest beta build, soon to be coming as a general update.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Creeking Along

Post by elkhunter123456 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:56 am

I always like watching the rivers being designed! the maps very green which will be appreciated, and the pups really cute too :mrgreen:

xc92u3

Re: Creeking Along

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:54 am

I always love watching Dave work :D That, and I understand what he's doing! I guess those Blender tutorials are starting to pay off XD
Thank you Dave and WolfQuest Team!