Mission Simpossible

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Mission Simpossible

Post by roguemoon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:44 pm

I have to say I'm not sure how much I like the idea of having one big tutorial. Personally, I don't like when games have a big tutorial in the beginning. I think if a tutorial is going to be included, it should be broken up into sections and triggered when you encounter new actions. For example, the first time you ecounter a hunting ground a pop-up with a brief description of how to hunt would appear (chase the elk, pick the easiet target, etc). Same goes for the first time you use scent view, enter a stranger wolf territory, encounter a dispersal or another predator, etc. I think this would be more interesting and players would have to option to disable tutorials. Tutorial windows could include screenshots or perhaps even photos of wild wolves hunting, encountering strangers, etc.

To add to this, i'm pretty sure the team has already said the option to be a pup would not be included in Tower Fall/Anniversary update. If there were a tutorial, it would probably take place when you are an adult dispersal. I feel like this is more realistic since players have to learn how to survive for the first time without help, the same way a real dispersal wolf would.

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Phasoli wrote: The ability to sniff others in multiplayer directly would be amazing! That could leave an opportunity for other players to establish a bio for their characters, so that other players who wanted to get to know that character could do so as a hands on function. My idea for scent rolling was that a player could roll on a collectable object, then rub against another player, as a sort of "look what I found" mechanic. A feature like this would be amazing in Phrase Chat servers, so instead of comunnitactkng with words, players are encouraged to share experiences through scent by rolling and rubbing against each other, haha. Scent marking in general for multiplayer would be fun. I definately second that idea!
A thousand times yes! I LOVE this so much! In-game character bios could also be helpful to those of us that like RPing but can't be bothered to type a description every five minutes... :D

Flurrie
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: D3x
Location: England, Land of Frogs and Fog, Xmas Isle, Steam's store

Post by Flurrie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 pm

You remember how cute bear cubs are?
Why not have a mission be to successfully snatch it from the mother bear; I saw some wolves in a documentary attempting this (and failing, so probably would be a difficult mission). :)
Tragic but wolves vs bears.

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Here are some of my ideas:

1. Finding and returning a lost pup
If the pack affinity ever drops below, say, 50 percent, a pup could mysteriously go missing (perhaps a cutscene leading to the event so it doesn't just suddenly disappear). The pup's nametag could be removed and you'd have to use the new scent system to find the pup and bring it back before it starves (the other pups and the mate could be safe at the den like what happens when you currently leave the territory, except without losing health for the time being).

2. A forest fire
As somebody else stated, maybe there could be a small chance of a forest fire whenever lightning strikes a tree within close range. You'd have to take your mate and pups and run all the way to a new den site and wait for it to die down. Running through the fire could, of course, cause damage.

3. Revenge missions
If a pup ever dies by a certain predator, perhaps you could track its scent and if you either kill or chase off its own, then you could get extra experience points. It sure would feel good to know my wolf could nip back at those coyotes :lol:.

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:00 am

Man, I've had to think long and hard about this one... there's so many options, and I've seen a lot of people tossing out some really great ideas! I've been considering this for a while, and here's a few things I've come up with...

-I've seen people suggesting playing as a pup for the tutorial, and other people countering it and saying that it might be a little too boring to make a good start (pups... don't do all that much right away, heh). But what about starting as the older "teen pup" from Tower Fall? I believe Solitary mentioned this as well. Pups that age are learning to hunt, and you could also learn to socialize via interacting with your packmates, and maybe even how to fight via playing. It could be a great way to introduce people to the game and still keep it exciting.

-I've seen people talking about scent collectables, but what about the idea that your wolf couldn't identify a scent before actually encountering the animal? Experienced players could tell by the color, but the game wouldn't display any information on the scent (instead of "male bear" or "female coyote" it would just say "???" or something). Once the player tracks the scent and encounters the animal, the scent would be logged and could be identified for the future. There could be an achievement for collecting all the scents, and maybe some sort of bonus to a wolf who accomplishes it?

-I'd love to see dynamic territories instead of just the "mark the half-moon" thing. The area around the den could be a given "this is our territory" (unless another wolf pack reached it) and instead of marking to fulfill a criteria for a certain zone, each scent mark would be it's own entity, show up on your map, and have an "area of effect" that diminishes with time. Perhaps this could be a "node" system, like you mentioned would be the case with the new elk herds. In theory, you could maintain a large territory this way, but you'd have to be careful not to allow any gaps, lest a predator slip in and attack your pups. Other packs could function similarly-- you could try and overtake their territory with your own, but you'd run the risk of being caught and having a dangerous encounter. Predators would only spawn outside of marked areas, but if you tried to make your territory too big you'd run the risk of the nodes decaying and allowing predators to spawn...
If this was added, I'd suggest the predator mission be changed from "chase off x amount of predators" to "defend your pups for x length of time", or even be replaced with another objective entirely.

-I can't find a lot of info on dispersal-dispersal counters, but I can imagine wolves wouldn't be super friendly to dispersals of the same gender. Maybe there could be a chance of running into competitors on AM? You'd have to compete with them and either chase them off or show them up, lest they end up winning the heart of your potential mate...

-I've seen people talking about natural events, and I am all for this. Forest fires, blizzards, electrical storms... wolves are exposed to the elements of nature and its dangers, and they live in a dynamic ecosystem that changes day by day. Forest fires could destroy grazing habitat and force prey animals to look elsewhere for food-- so not only would you have to worry about the fire itself, but its aftermath. Imagine the disaster it could cause if you had pups...

-Moving dens could be a thing. I don't know if this is a common occurrence, but I imagine things could happen and force wolves to have to move dens. I feel like the pups should be more mobile on the journey than they are now, but earlier on it could be comparable to the current journey. Random events could force the player out, or the player could initiate the move (for those of us who add our own story and such :P).

-Illness, injury, disease. I've seen people saying it, and seriously-- this could be HUGE. You could have dynamic diseases that could affect different creatures. Mange could become dynamic-- contracting it could result in moderate random drops in health (bacterial infections). This could go away over time, remain for life, or... I'll mention some other ideas in my next thought. You could even add things like rabies-- imagine having to kill a coyote that's aggressively chasing you as well without taking damage (rabies is almost always fatal...).
Injuries could be another thing-- they'd add a lot of depth to the game in that they'd add many new risks. Hunting an elk and get kicked too hard? Suddenly your wolf is limping, you can no longer run, you can't catch up to the elk, and you'd better hope a carcass is nearby or else you'll starve to death! Injuries could heal with time, but depending on the severity it could take more or less time, and you'd have to find new ways to cope with your injury in the meantime...

-Biologists. People have been talking about this, and I think it would be fascinating. Someone suggested the idea of having to run for cover if a plane appeared, otherwise you'd get tranquilized and receive a radio collar, however maybe researchers could also play a role in an illness/injury system. I don't know how much wolf biologists will actually rehabilitate injured/ill wolves, but it would be interesting if there could be a sort of "Easter egg" where, if you were ill (i.e. mange) or injured (broken leg, etc.), researchers might appear. This chance could increase if you already had a collar. These researchers would be much harder to avoid than just normal "collar" ones, and if you got tranquilized you could wake up in a rehabilitation center of some sort. This could just be a little Easter egg thing where you could explore an enclosure and maybe see/smell other wolves and other animals through the fences, etc., and when you were done exploring you could initiate the timeskip to go home and be re-released into the wild. That would be a bit more of a stretch for sure, but it'd be interesting :P Or there could just be a timeskip and the player would wake up free of disease/injury, maybe after a cutscene.

-The option to carry on as your mate when you die. This is less a "mission" as much as it is an adjustment, but I think it would be interesting. If you have a living mate and the player wolf dies, you could choose to continue as them and live out their story. This could allow for some very interesting stories.

-Generational play. Again, less of a "mission" and more an adjustment, but I'd love if there was some automated way to jump into playing as your pups from the end of the game. There could be some advantage to this, maybe an exp bonus or something, and it could timeskip you from the end of a current episode to the beginning in AM. Maybe your old pack could be an "encounterable" one for generational play.

-Dispersing with a sibling/meeting family in AM. It would be interesting to disperse with a companion wolf-- I believe that's been documented in rare cases? Maybe this could only be accessible through generational play if it was added or something, or maybe you could choose a sibling to fill a slot and customize them, etc. The advantage would be that there'd be more wolves in the pack-- maybe you could swap between them or something. The disadvantage would be that you'd have to find two mates-- and have double the puppies in the spring if you stayed together.
Maybe you could also encounter siblings just at random, as a sort of fun thing as a dispersal. Heck, maybe that could even be the tutorial!

-I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of having to bond with your mate over time by staying together, traveling together, etc.

-It would be interesting if there was a sort of "reputation" system among dispersals. I imagine they'd seldom be friendly to each other, but it would add some depth if they remembered how you reacted to them and/or had distinct personalities. You could witness a range of responses, from hostile to submissive to maybe even playful if you managed to end up on good terms with them somehow. I feel adding dispersals other than your mate to your pack would be a stretch, since I think that's extremely rare if it ever even happens, but if it ever was added maybe it could be some sort of massive experience reward?

-For an extra challenge, maybe you could attempt to woo a young pack wolf away from its natal pack to be your mate. Not all wolves disperse right away, after all, and it would add more of a risk, but perhaps there could be some benefit?

-I've seen people talking about a "missing pup" mission, but what if the pups just straight up don't stop wandering if pack affinity is low and would just pick a direction and go? Your mate could help corral them, but if there's only two of you and four puppies and no pack affinity... good luck!

-Experience system revamp? Points could be earned based off necessity (saw something similar to this mentioned on the facebook and it gave me some ideas, heh). Hungry and you kill an elk? Good for you, you earn more points. Kill another elk after that? You get a bit less. Kill five more? You should probably take a break, you're not going to get many points. Kill a coyote as it's about to snatch your pup? Good job! Bonus points! Stop it from stealing your food? Good for you! Chase it down in the middle of nowhere when you don't need to? Ehhhhh... energy could be better spent elsewhere. Defend your carcass from a cougar? Experience points all around! Chase that poor fox halfway across the map and murder it? That... was rather uncalled for, not many points for you.

-A "bond" with your mate. It's important to spend time with your mate too, and not just your pups. Play with them, vocalize, make sure you're on the same page. If that bond drops, your mate will end up more and more independent from you, and you might well end up countering each others' efforts by accident because of lack of communication.

Whew, okay, that's a lot. I know some of them are a bit of a reach, but I'm kind of just brainstorming here lol.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:20 am

Hey, what about a thing where you have to find a baby hare somewhere on the map, and if you kill it, it will affect how fast your pups get hungry (if you feed the hare to them, that is).
Last edited by xc92u3 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:35 am

I love Frodo1 ideas of having a more dynamic territory. It would be more interesting and a bit more fun that way to do the territory marking mission and general marking upkeep. I'm also really fond of having to bond with your mate.

Tara420
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Tara420 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Thay should let us keep one of the pups out of each litter i think it would make the game more fun it would also help our packs kill bigger and better pray

summerawaits
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by summerawaits » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:35 pm

0927CanisLupus0927 wrote:-Competing for a mate (Amethyst).
-Playing with pups
-Add extra dominance (become a subordinate)
-Save pups from and oncoming herd of elk (racing away from another pack of wolves)
-Wolf pack infiltration
-Dig a den (takes a while)
-Escape a wildfire while saving pups (relocate)
-(saving pups from a flood??)
-Protect your family
I really like the idea of the wildfires. We have lightning, I think wildfires, when a tree gets struck and catches on fire, should be able to spread. This could trigger a mission to get your pups and family out of there and relocate to a new den. If trees could fall during fires or windstorms that would make it harder to get to your pups. I think this would be a challenge!
I saw something about digging our own den. I've always wanted to be able to make our own den. I think that would be awesome. Dragging carcasses/picking up bones should be a thing too.

Other ideas I could suggest:
I think we should be able to be more personable with our pups and mate. The bonding ideas are very good ideas. I think we should be able to teach each pup individually and have a "hunting skill bar". If we could have a mission that pops up when pups are ready to learn to hunt, for example, the parent (our wolf character) can help the pup build up their "hunting" skill. If you've ever seen SIms, they have skills (from 1-10) that they develop when they put it in practice, read books, etc. Obviously, wolves don't read but having the parent teach them by showing them first, then allowing them to try, can teach them skills and maybe there could be a hunting skill rank from 1-5 (the max a teen pup can learn, when it becomes an adult in future episodes could then develop skills from 6-10). If personality is going to be a thing now, maybe pups who are lazy take longer to develop their hunting skill but have a good scent skill. If we had 5 or 6 skills we have to help our pups develop, I think that would be very interesting and when you look at your pack stats it would show what level each pup is at for each skill. (Scent skill, fight skill, hunt skill, etc for some examples). The higher level the skill is, the more effective their bite is, or their scent bar is, or their attack is, or their ability to dominate other wolves is. Skills could be imprinted in the mates we get, and we could even have our own skill bar for our wolf.

I think it would be interesting if we had a mission that could allow us the opportunity to obtain territory from other wolves or expand our territory.

I saw a suggestion about having pop ups on certain flora or trees, or wildlife we find. That would be a very good addition to wolfquest, allowing us to learn about the flora, wildlife, and landmarks of yellowstone. I think we should have a pop up that gives the name and brief description when we interact with the flora, wildlife, landmark, etc and then have a "journal" it puts it into that we can have access to at any time. When we access the journal it could show what we have found with a real life picture of the animal/plant/ whatever, and then have question marks by what we haven't found. Then if we click on the picture it will give us the name again, and a more detailed description of the animal/plant/whatever and it's impact on wildlife/humans, any fun facts, etc. That is something I would highly consider inputting into the game.

In the journal what would be really cool is if we could save bones of carcasses and collect them, have them save in our journal, and have a game on the side where we have to build/put together the "elk skeleton", then have a "moose skeleton" from moose bones we saved, "hare skeleton" from hare bones we collected after we ate a hare. Each time we finished a carcass a bone could be left behind or something. Sounds cheesy but this could teach players about the anatomy/bones in an elk body, moose body, hare body, mule deer body, etc.

If I think of more I will make another post.

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:29 pm

I've seen many posts suggesting to put humans in the game in one way or another. For me, personally, I'd have to disagree. I generally like the idea of detached traces of human activity within the game. While seeing human tourists, photographers and biologists roam about, or having one capture the player and equip it with a collar would be cool, I think that seeing the plane while wearing the collar in the current game itself is enough alongside the occasional boot or footprint is enough. To me, these detached traces allows the player to focus more on the microcosm of wolf life within the park.

Polynesia
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Polynesia » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:08 am

Frodo1 wrote:-I've seen people talking about scent collectables, but what about the idea that your wolf couldn't identify a scent before actually encountering the animal? Experienced players could tell by the color, but the game wouldn't display any information on the scent (instead of "male bear" or "female coyote" it would just say "???" or something). Once the player tracks the scent and encounters the animal, the scent would be logged and could be identified for the future. There could be an achievement for collecting all the scents, and maybe some sort of bonus to a wolf who accomplishes it?
I love this idea of having to discover things, instead of them being recorded already! Related to this, someone suggested in a different thread that the map of wherever you are (AM, SC, etc) is covered in fog or something, and when you explore an area, the fog on that part of the map will clear. This means the map would be a representation of your wolf's memory, which expands as your wolf explores its surroundings. It also may help players to better associate an area with its location on the map, since the rest of the map will be concealed.
Frodo1 wrote:-I'd love to see dynamic territories instead of just the "mark the half-moon" thing. The area around the den could be a given "this is our territory" (unless another wolf pack reached it) and instead of marking to fulfill a criteria for a certain zone, each scent mark would be it's own entity, show up on your map, and have an "area of effect" that diminishes with time. Perhaps this could be a "node" system, like you mentioned would be the case with the new elk herds. In theory, you could maintain a large territory this way, but you'd have to be careful not to allow any gaps, lest a predator slip in and attack your pups. Other packs could function similarly-- you could try and overtake their territory with your own, but you'd run the risk of being caught and having a dangerous encounter. Predators would only spawn outside of marked areas, but if you tried to make your territory too big you'd run the risk of the nodes decaying and allowing predators to spawn...
If this was added, I'd suggest the predator mission be changed from "chase off x amount of predators" to "defend your pups for x length of time", or even be replaced with another objective entirely.
This sounds awesome too! Dynamic marking lets you choose your own territory to an extent, so if there is an area nearby where your favourite prey likes to gather, you can claim that part. This would really increase the replay value of the game, because you wouldn't have to have the exact same territory every time you choose the corresponding den. It would make the game, and PvP, more interesting and strategic.

The mark your territory mission isn't so fun as it is, because you have to constantly maintain the same crescent area and it gets tedious.

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:42 am

• Oh dang look at all the ideas! This is awesome!!
      I just thought of some more so before I forget I'm gonna share them.

Seasonal/Holiday specials:

As WQ has done before for Christmas and halloween, I absolutely LOVE all the festive decor and would LOVE to see more!

Valentines day: It would be like any normal day on wq except for the fact that we have two new tasks. 1: Bond with your mate (if you have one) And 2: Find the swan.
      You can either kill the swan or just observe it, but it would be fun to find the swan. I think mostly swan's because they just mark love for me. Not sure why. Maybe we'd collect swan feathers and if you collect them all you get a special valentines day wolf coat/ special chest scar/ or just a shiny achievement badge.

Easter: For easter there should be bird nests that you can shake from tree sprouts and eat the eggs for a little health boost. Participating in this will result in an achievement badge.

April fools: Some of the old glitches could be implemented to prank the players. Like pink water, or rolling elk/deer and floppy moose.

Independence day: I really think this day should include fireworks in the distance. (As much as I personally hate fireworks) It just seems festive to include this. And maybe hikers left behind some color bands or streamers on the trees around us and we have to find it all.

Halloween: I LOVED all the decor in lost river and wanted to keep including this but somehow implementing it into the rest of the game. I'm sure this wouldn't be ideal for everyone but here is was I thought. It is said the animals especially dogs are hyper sensitive to paranormal activity. What if we encountered a smell we did not recognize. It was kinda a minty/blue pale color. And so we'd follow the scent and come across a ghost maybe the ghost of our mate/a wolf from previous games. You could only find it at night and it would follow you around until halloween was over. But it wouldn't be able to hunt or do anything to aid you, it was just there to hang out. And if you bonded with it and it was happy, it would leave peacefully giving you an achievement called, "Jinkies" "Paranormal Packtivity"or something silly like that. But if you weren't nice to it, IE, growled at it a lot it would turn into a red color and take half your health before leaving resulting in, "Too Spooky" or also, "Jinkies"

Thanksgiving: All I have to say for this one.. We need turkeys going crazy in Yellowstone during thanksgiving, it'd be hilarious. "Feathery Feast." Or "Gobble 'em Up" For how many turkeys you can eat.

Christmas: (Oh I'm getting tired now!) Christmas last year was THE BOMB! We had Rudolf and a snowman and soooo many fun things to explore, as well as that white cube! No idea what it really was though... XD I think that we should be able to hear Santa somewhere up their, Hohohoing, or jingling bells. Maybe the mule deer could have jingle bell harnesses on. And some of the snowy hares would have an elf hat on. Just because it would be cute and funny.

New Years: I've lost my creative juices for this one.. XD Another time then!

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:11 pm

I often see in different let's plays where they will have daily events like "today the rivers are flooding, so we have to go through a different crossing"- perhaps randomly generate daily events whenever you load a save, and there could be a pop up window that says something like "The scent of rain is strong- perhaps using the Sandbar Crossing today would be ill-advised." or "Coyote scent seems to be thick today. be sure to be on the look-out!"

I'd also like side-missions like the cattle ranch, and perhaps little "collectibles" like skulls and flowers to decorate your territory? I dunno how realistic it is, but I'm always getting distracted by customization features and stuff. They're my favorite!

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:21 pm

PearlyReborn wrote:I often see in different let's plays where they will have daily events like "today the rivers are flooding, so we have to go through a different crossing"- perhaps randomly generate daily events whenever you load a save, and there could be a pop up window that says something like "The scent of rain is strong- perhaps using the Sandbar Crossing today would be ill-advised." or "Coyote scent seems to be thick today. be sure to be on the look-out!"

I'd also like side-missions like the cattle ranch, and perhaps little "collectibles" like skulls and flowers to decorate your territory? I dunno how realistic it is, but I'm always getting distracted by customization features and stuff. They're my favorite!
Perhaps something similar to that first idea- you could have a random chance in your Raise Pups mission of one of the crosses flooding or somehow becoming inaccessible, therefore forcing you to choose the other.
What about multiple Rendevous sites? Would be nice to have something refreshing.

If collectibles became a thing I'd definitely love to see a section under Achievements where you can view your collection (perhaps even a 3D model of it).

Sheka
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Sheka » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm sure a lot of these ideas have already been previously mentioned, but I figured I would throw in my two cents here, since I always wondered if you guys would add multiple side and secondary missions alongside the main objectives.

>Weather-related events: for example, a flood ruins your den and you have to find/create another one. Escape a forest fire within a time limit.
>Mate trials: a courtship period before making it "official" where you can determine what traits the wolf you are interested in have. If you dislike them or find they're incompatible, you have the option to end the courtship to pursue a different wolf.
>Pup missions: training pup sessions, teaching them how to howl, hunt, etc.
>Expanding cattle ranch: allow your wolf to explore more of the farm instead of just the cow pasture. Possibly invade chicken coop, avoid the farmers, avoid any sheepdogs, maybe even have the option to fight or flee if you encounter a herding dog? That would be fascinating. :mrgreen:
>Interacting with other packs: Territory disputes, lone wolves entering your territory you have to defend, encountering a pack would all be rather difficult to incorporate but will add to the realism of the game. I think it would make it seem less isolated if wolves came into contact with each other more often.