#OneLess Campaign

Discuss how to take action in helping wildlife and the environment.

Moderator: Isela

wolf567
Former WQ Moderator

#OneLess Campaign

Post by wolf567 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 am

The #OneLess Campaign is a brilliant initiative led by ZSL and other partners - the campaign is basically to reduce the number of single use water bottles used. It is mainly focused for London, UK but there isn't any reason why everyone around the world can't be involved too. Since reading about this campaign I personally have pledged never to use single use water bottles and have brought two refillable bottles instead. Has anyone else given up single use water bottles already? Or anyone going to? Does anyone know of any similar campaigns?

Here is a little bit more info about the initiative:

#OneLess wrote:Our Story:
The ocean supports all life on Earth and its health is inseparable from our own. It provides us with half the oxygen we breathe, supports the livelihoods of over three billion people worldwide, and is home to nearly 200,000 identified species (the actual number is likely to be in the millions).

#OneLess is a rapidly growing movement of pioneering and progressive individuals, communities, businesses, NGOs and policymakers, collaboratively striving to reduce the amount of single-use plastic water bottles entering the ocean from the city of London.
Together we are championing London’s refill culture by enabling innovative ways to quench the capital’s thirst and reduce our reliance on single-use plastic water bottles.

We are fostering a culture where using a refillable water bottle is the social norm and we are working to ensure that the systems and infrastructure are in place across the city to support this behavior.

Here are some great info graphics:
London-on-Sea
Did you know?

#OneLess Website
Wolf567 / Blaze

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Re: #OneLess Campaign

Post by paperpaws » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 am

Whoa, nice to see an informative post pop up in these inactive boards. Cheers, Blaze.

I've never been one to buy one-off plastic bottles of water unless it's for larger outings with multiple people, but I think it helps that the tap water in The Netherlands is of great quality. According to my civil engineering friend, it's "better" than bottled water.

I've got multiple refillable bottles and find them far more convenient. Are the "Doppers" a known concept outside of the Netherlands? They're these ugly refillable plastic bottles that seem to be the "default" water bottle here as they're often handed out free for marketing purposes. They ended up ubiquitous despite of how awful they look, heh.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Sorry for the necro, but I want to chime in too.

I haven't used a plastic water bottle for years. I have a couple of re-usable metal bottles I refill (bonus points because they are dishwasher safe!) so I use them instead. Almost the entire thing is made out of metal with the exception of the rubber seal and the wood cap. I think they are by Klean Kanteen?

The only thing I don't like about tap water is the taste, but you get used to it after awhile.
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:38 pm

I like the 1 L Nalgenes for my daily water container (which I can personalize with stickers), and I bought my school's reusable coffee mugs for coffee runs. Yay discounts!

I never buy the disposable plastic water bottles, but I will buy plastic bottles when they contain a sports drink like Gatorade. I know my parents still do buy water bottles, but I don't know why.

In my hometown, a notable portion of the older folks are misguided on the effects of treating water with fluoride. Growing up, I remember seeing posters on light posts about how the government is killing us with fluoride :roll:. So I imagine they might buy bottled water, believing it to be better.

There is still some places for bottled water I think; in places like Flint Michigan USA where their drinking water is still harmful. But it's sure a money grab for Nestle and similar! The majority of us in developed areas who aren't in some sort of crisis don't need it.

I actually don't mind tap water taste. Locally it comes from an underground aquifer is all I know.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur